THE FORTRESS, MACAU
The Fortress, or Monte Fort lies to the east of the Ruins of St. Paul’s, Macau.
Built in 1616, it’s initial intent was to defend the church from the pirates and later became solely a military fort.
Quadrilaterally shaped, the fort is about 100 meters in circumference. In 1998, the Macau Museum was established on this premises, detailing the development and the customs of Macau.
Photo: Lina Shigemitsu